May CrossFit Programming
Summer is right around the corner so the focus this month is strength work to improve function as well as body composition. The month of May is quite similar to April with a fair amount of strict work as well as definitive energy systems work, however, there is more emphasis on maximal strength this month. We are performing 3 “strength only days” this month – all on different weeks during the month. This will allow us to have a single focus and really zero in on where people are weakest not to mention change it up. The preparation for “Murph” continues, but now most of the work has been done so we are trying to refine what we’ve gained in April. Another difference this month is less focused anaerobic work – we’ll still train anaerobic systems but it will done in more CrossFit style metcons. In June, we’ll perform more focused anaerobic work again.
Some things to take note of:
– Strength only days still include many components that will get Athletes heart-rates up so these are not to be underestimated. This work serves as the foundation for Athletes and is incredibly important.
– You’ll see some new benchmarks as well as some old benchmarks so make sure your clients are tracking on their previous scores.
Finally, the month of May represents a nice balance of aerobic measures, strength work, anaerobic work, as well as more GPP measures than last month. Please take note of the additional content I provide you to build value in this work. These two articles here and here should be read.
Often times I receive question on training schedules. Here’s some additional guidance:
Advanced Clients – Train Monday-Saturday and Sunday OFF
Advanced Clients Option #2: Train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday Intermediate Clients Tier #1: Train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Intermediate Clients Tier #2: Train Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Intermediate Clients Tier #3: Train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
Beginner Clients Option #1: Train Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Beginner Clients Option #2: Train Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
Beginner Clients Option #3: Train Monday, Wednesday, Thursday.
CrossFit May Benchmarks
MAX EFFOT VARIATIONS
- PUSH PRESS 1RM (8/24)1
- 1/4 FRONT SQUAT 3RM (10/29)
- STRICT WIDE GRIP PULL-UPS
- SUMO RACK DEADLIFT
- UPPER REP WORK
- BACK SQUAT WAVE
- CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
- RING PULL-UPS
DYNAMIC EFFORT VARIATIONS
- WIDE STANCE BOX SQUAT (3 WEEKS)
- SEATED DYNAMIC BOX JUMPS (2 WEEKS)
- CLOSE GRIP FLOOR PRESS (WEEK 2 OF 2)
- PUSH PRESS + PUSH JERK + SPLIT JERK (2 WEEKS)
- FRONT BOX SQUAT (2 WEEKS)
- JAMES B (1/19)
- CRAZY TRAIN (NEW)
- THOMBSTONE (NEW)
- FOOL IN THE RAIN (1/24)
- MURPH (LAST MEMORIAL DAY)
- TUGBOAT (1/31)