For the month of January we are covering A LOT of ground. We’ll spend this month engaging the upper-back, triceps, biceps as well as work to improve the HSPU and Rope Climb followed by a “testing piece” that will test improvement of these areas and local muscle-endurance. Aside from this work, the only change compared to past months is performing TWO movements for speed-strength work that is happening each week.
For lower body, we’ll be performing speed-strength work with the Power Clean + Jerk based off of our new 1RM Clean + Jerk that we are testing as well as speed-strength work with the Back Squat based off the new 1RM we are testing prior to this. Our back squat work will be higher rep than normal and will be beneficial for folks to improve their mechanics and get more time under tension.
There are 2 PAST OPEN WODs and 18+ familiar individual testing pieces as well as 2 partner conditioning benchmarks that do not necessarily need to be done with same partner. This is a normal amount of conditioning testers for us that are managed in the programming and separated by other high-threshold work by a minimum of 72 hours.
Overall, the balance of conditioning work does lean toward aerobic vs. anaerobic to improve your individuals aerobic power ability, recovery, and ability to perform explosive work that requires effective replenishment of ATP, but expect to see more than a few conditioning pieces that are less than 10 minutes in length.
A few key points for January:
- There are more/new variations for assistance work.
- Except to see multiple conditioning pieces that are less than 10 minutes in length (The Departed, 13.4, James B, 1/21 Metcon, Tugboat) to target the lactic system.
- The 2019 OPEN starts on 2/21.
January CrossFit Programming
CrossFit January Benchmarks
MAX EFFORT VARIATIONS
- POWER SNATCH + OVERHEAD SQUAT (1 + 3)
- CLOSE GRIP FLOOR PRESS
- CLOSE GRIP CHIN-UP
- CLEAN + JERK 1RM (1/1/18)
- BACK SQUAT 1RM (9/3/18)
- 3-WEEKS OF UPPER WORK WITH HSPU, ROPE CLIMBS, ROWS
- TOUCH N GO DEADLIFT 5RM (8/20)
- FRONT BOX SQUAT 2RM (6/4)
DYNAMIC EFFORT VARIATIONS
- PAUSED FRONT SQUAT (WEEK 2 & 3)
- POWER CLEAN + JERK & BACK SQUAT X 3 WEEKS
- JAMES B (NEW)
- OPEN WOD 12.3
- CLEAN BALLS
- THE DEPARTED (NEW)
- OPEN WOD 13.4
- 5K ROW OR RUN
- MAN MAKER (6/26)
- FOOL IN THE RAIN (NEW)
- CHESNA (7/21)
- TUGBOAT (10/4)
- 10+ MORE